Friday 22 March 2013

Book Review for Fantasy Book Club


City of a Thousand Dolls by Miriam Forster

So I chose this book for the Science Fiction and Fantasy Bookclub with no idea what it was about, a risk I know! 
It wasn't what I expected but I enjoyed it. 
It took me a little while to warm up to the main character, Nisha, as I felt she was a little young for 16 years but then halfway through the book she seemed to grow up a lot.
It only took me 2 days to read it and I wasn't reading it exclusively, (I have 2 other books on the go at the same time) so it's an easy book to read once it gets going and not too complicated. 
I really liked the idea of The City of a Thousand Dolls, I thought that was really interesting. 
The story itself tied up far too easily at the end for my liking, all the explanations on the space of a few pages.
However, the book did introduce all the characters and the world well and I'm looking forward to reading more set in the Bhinian Empire. I'm hoping to find out more about Nisha's parents.
How many others saw the sune twist coming far earlier than we probably should have done?

BTW, kudos to the publishers, the book, without the paper-cover, looks fantastic on my bookshelf! And I loved the prints around the edges of certain pages throughout the books.

(terrible pic I know! something wrong with my ipod, I think!)

No comments:

Post a Comment